Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Faux Leather Wallet

I had a great night on Sunday making this faux leather wallet with my girlfriends.  They came over to my place since I'm still not feeling very well and still unable to drive.   Unfortunately, Kim wasn't feeling well this time, so she didn't make out to my place to make these with us, but she was kind enough to send all the supplies for us to make them.  Thanks, so much, for getting this awesome project together for us, Kim and I look forward to seeing you soon! 

I've seen these on line before, and have wanted to try one, but never got around to it so I'm so glad we made these.  They're much easier to make than I had expected.  We used this tutorial by Yvonne Hagane on SCS.  Her tutorial shows lots of step by step pictures with are very easy to follow.

Here's an angle to show you the accordion sides to the wallet.

Here's a view of the inside of the wallet to show you the beautiful patterned paper that I used.  Don't look too closely at my poor sewing job, though!  The thread kinda bunged up on the top-right corner. Oops!   lol  :)

To make this Faux Leather Wallet:
1. Cut out a piece of cardstock for the outside (5 1/4" x 8 3/4")
2. With remaining piece of cardstock, cut out the pieces for the accordion sides. (2 - 2' x 3").  Score them every 1/2" across the 3" length and mountain fold each of them.
3. Choose a co-ordinating piece of patterned paper for the inside of the wallet and cut it to be slightly smaller than the outside piece of cardstock. (5 1/8" x 8 5/8")
4. Use a corner rounder punch and punched all corners of the wallet's outside piece of cardstock and inside piece of patterned paper.
5. Decide on a style for the embossed pattern for the outside.  (I used the Distressed Diamonds by ProvoCraft.)
6. Distress the embossed pattern with Tim Holtz Distress inks.  (I used Fired Brick to go with my Indian Red cardstock.)
7. Apply VersaMark over the entire embossed side that you've just distressed.  Completely cover with clear embossing powder and then by carefully holding your cardstock by it's edges, use a heat tool to clear emboss it.
8. Apply gluestick to the backside of the patterned paper and adhere to the back side of the embossed cardstock.
9. Sew around the entire edge of the wallet.
10. Attach your accordion sides with very tacky tape to be sure they stay put.
11. Attach your button/brad embellishment for your closure.  I opted to add my button to the side to mask the poor job I did with sewing!  Actually, I kinda like the button on the side - it seems to make it look more elegant!  See, all mistakes are just an opportunity to embellish! lol :)
12. Use self-adhesive velcro dots for the closure of the wallet as shown in the picture above.
Have fun!  :)

Thanks for stoppin' by! :)

2 comments:

Tracy.H said...

This turned out great, Julie!! I have always wanted to try one of these too. :0)

Kim said...

Julie, your wallet turned out gorgeous!! I love it, and your choice in papers is awesome! Sorry I wasn't there though, hate to miss out on all the visiting and creating! I will see you sometime this week!
Hugs!
Kim