Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Altered Valentine Heart Box


I've been an altering fool again over the past couple of days, making this cute little Valentine's Box for each of my daughter's teachers for a little gift. I asked each of my girls what they liked about their teacher and I put the sayings on the accordion style heart insert inside the wooden container. I saw this idea on Nichole Heady's blog, Capture the Moment. I love to see what Nichole is up to, she does such amazing work and she always has such creative ideas to share. For her Valentine tin, she used one of her exclusive PaperTrey Ink heart tins, but I saw these little wooden, hinged boxes at Michaels and thought I would try them for the task. I love to alter things, so this was right up my alley! :) Nichole's has a wonderful tutorial on how she made her tin, you can check it out here. While you're at it, you can check out all of PaperTrey's tins that you can alter here. That's if you're an altering fool, such as myself! lol :)

First you need a 12" x 12" piece of cardstock, cut it down to 2" x 12" and then make score lines every 2" (5 in total) to make 6 sections. I actually had to use a 10" piece of cardstock instead as the pink colour that I wanted to use, wasn't quite long enough. So, I ended up having a 2" x 10" piece, scored 4 times to make 5 sections. Make a heart template and use a temporary adhesive to adhere to the front of the folded piece.

Use a pair of sharp scissors and cut out around the heart so that the edges of the folds hold all heart together. Then, use a background stamp to stamp each heart. I masked off each heart and stamped them one at a time.

This is the insert with all the sayings added. I used MS Word and typed up the sayings using 10pt Comic Sans font. Printed them off onto white cardstock and used my Creative Memories oval cutting system to cut each of them out.
This is the view of the back of the heart tin. You can't see the hinges, but they're just below the ribbon, inset into the box.
So, that's it. Now, it's your turn to go make one! Have fun! :)

Thanks for stoppin' by! :)

Supplies:
Cardstock: textured Pink (Dollarstore), Flat White (CRS)
Patterned Paper: Paperbilities by Rhonna Farrer (Autumn Leaves - stack)
Ink: Passion Pink
Stamps: Soft Swirls (SU), Heart with flower in centre - Daisy Crazy (SU)
Tools: Custom Oval Cutting System (Creative Memories), Scissors, lots of Terrifically Tacky Tape (Provo Craft), Wooden Heart Hinged Box (Michaels)
Embellishments: Wine Velvet Ribbon (Michaels)

4 comments:

Tracy.H said...

This is so cute, Julie!! You are the Queen, I tell ya! ;0)

Cindy Vernon said...

I tried this, but mine just didn't come out so hot so I did something a little bit different. Probably won't post it until March on my blog because I'm going to give it to my husband for our anniversary.

Also, if you can't find any mailboxes, I have an extra one and would be happy to send you one. Email me with your information!

Dana said...

This is so clever and beautiful Julie. What a delightful gift for your daughters' teachers.

Glad to have discovered your blog!

My Paper World said...

Very cute!