Thursday, January 17, 2008

Some news about me...

I really do have some of the best friends a person could ask for! This is a beautiful card that my friend Catherine Levy dropped off for me today to let me know she was thinking of me. Thanks so much, Catherine. You're a true friend! :)
This past week and a half has been a little stressful for me. I found a lump in my breast and was very nervous that it might be something very serious. My family doctor was on vacation, so I went to the ER to see a doctor since there have been 11 cases of Breast Cancer in my immediate family, hence my nervousness. Three of those family members have also had to have double Mastectomies, but we're just thankful that they're all survivors. The doctor told me that he suspected that it could very well be a tumor, and he wanted to do a Mammogram, ultrasound and breast biopsy to be sure. The other scenario would be a cyst or infected milk duct. But, I haven't breastfed my children in nearly 2 years...weird. I learned today that infected milk ducts can occur at anytime though. Anyway, this has sent my head into a whirling mess of bad thoughts.

Anyway, after over a week from Hell of waiting...not knowing, I got my Mammogram today (not a pleasant procedure by the way) and my ultrasound. When the technician did the Mammogram, she could clearly feel the lump in my breast. But, after all the squashing, the lump is nearly gone. I made my way down the hall to get my ultrasound done and the technician couldn't find the lump anymore. Apparently, it's common during a Mammogram for a cyst to break and they're pretty sure that's what it was. The tech did find a small cyst, no large masses that would indicate cancer, so that's good. However, I can still hear her saying, time and time again, that the tissue was very dense and they weren't able to see through it all. So...that leads me to worry further as that was the case with my cousin...she later had to have a double Mastectomy. They weren't able to detect the cancer through Mammogram or ultrasound, only through blood testing. Had they only found it earlier and were able to do the chemo sooner, that might not have been the case.

But, I'm most discouraged over the fact that now they say they won't do a breast biopsy on me because the lump isn't large enough now to know exactly where to do the biopsy. Anyway, I do have an appointment with my family doctor next Wed. and I will push to have further blood testing done to ease my mind. They'll also have lab results then for my tests from last Thursday from the ER. I'm interested to see what they show. So, I guess I'm further ahead than I was, but still nervous. I really haven't sleep in a week and a half. I'm tired and going kinda crazy. But, I'm trying to stay positive and hoping that it was only a cyst and that it's all behind me now. I'm so thankful for the support that I've received from my family and friends. You know who you are and I can't thank you enough. I really appreciate your thoughts and prayers more than words can say.

Ok, that's my rant for today. I've struggled over whether or not I should share information as personal as this, but I know the group of stampers and paper crafters that I know online are some of the best people going, so I knew you'd all be supportive of what I'm going through and I feel better by being able to share this with you. Thanks for listening and please keep me in your prayers. That's all for now. A few friends are coming over tomorrow night to make cards with me, so I'll have something new to post soon. :)

Thanks for stoppin' by! :)

7 comments:

Tracy.H said...

Big Hugs Julie! Hey and if your up for it...I tagged you...maybe a little something fun to get your mind off the bad stuff...for a little bit anyway. Enjoy your stamping night tomorrow! :0)

Shannon Tompkins said...

Julie, I'm sorry to hear about the last week and a half. I am sure you are having a rough go of life and having to put the happy face on for your girls. I truly believe in the power of positive thinking so I am sending some positive thoughts your way.

NormaJ said...

Hey Julie,coast to coast hugs to you. Hang in there, the waiting is
the worst part. I've been there and survived the panic and got good news too. Despite the odds of
family history. I still say men should have to have a manogram!

Anonymous said...

Hey Julie,
I'm keeping you in my thoughts and prayers...Try to stay positive,even though I know that it's really hard. If you need anything, I'm just a phone call away!

Alanna E. Campbell said...

hey julie ... someone as kind hearted as you are deserves to have LOtS of good thoughts sent her way .... so here they come along with BIG hugs ....
Digital Princess

QuiltNut Creations said...

oh Julie, hope you can get some more answers when you see your Dr. try and stay positive!

((hugglies))

Anonymous said...

Big Hugs Julie! I'm just catching up on my blogs; I had no idea. I will keep you in my prayers.