Monday, October 1, 2007

Chipboard Matchbox Case Tutorial

I decided to try something fun tonight that I've been wanting to try for some time now. I finally found the matchboxes today after a long search...I didn't want to spend a lot of money on the waterproof ones...seeing as I didn't even want the matches, all I wanted was the boxes! lol :) I found a set of 6 boxes for a $1 at Payless Dollar Deals as apposed to a set of 4 boxes for $4.69 at a couple of other local hardware stores. Can I tell ya how much I love dollar stores? lol :)

So, the pic above is the finished product. I haven't quite decided what I'm going to use it for... originally it was supposed to be for storing little cardmaking embellies, but I think I might use it as a little jewelry case to store some of my necklaces in.

This is the gorgeous patterned paper that I chose to use. Thought I'd take a pic of the whole 12" x 12" sheet, so you see it all. It's embossed paper, very heavy weight. Beautiful paper!

To make this project, you'll need 2 (4" x 4") chipboard coasters and 4 matchboxes.

This is the layout that you'll use for the matchboxes. I placed all the strike stripes towards the inside.

Next step is to trace out your patterned paper pieces, cut them out and use a glue stick to cover them to the chipboard coasters. After you adhere them, you can lightly sand the edges and then edge the coasters with your choice of ink colour. I used a coffee bean brown colour.

Now, you can mount the 4 matchboxes to the bottom coaster. I used Terrifically Tacky Tape to adhere the boxes, so that they would stay put. However, I ran out after I did the bottoms of the boxes, so, on the top, I used wide double-sided tape. Place the boxes on the coaster carefully to make sure you centre them all.

These are the cut pieces for the drawer fronts, box sides and the hardware for the drawer fronts. I used the thumb tack to poke a hole in the drawer front so I could easily put the brad in place for the drawer pull. The larger pieces are 1/2" x 2" and the smaller pieces are 1/2" x 1 1/2."

There you go, pretty easy to put together and a fun little project to do. Here's the final project again. Now, I have a question for you. What would you use your little matchbook case for?

Hope you enjoyed this little tutorial. If you decide to make one, I'd love to see it, send me a pic and share your ideas for what you're gonna use it for! :)

Thanks for stoppin' by! :)

Patterned Paper: K &Company 12 x 12 KO Verbana Gold Ornamental Embossed Paper
Embellishments: Stampin' Up! Antique Brass HodgePodge Hardware
Materials: Chipboard Coasters, Matchboxes
Tools: Terrifically Tacky Tape (Provo Craft), Double-Sided Adhesive Tape (Dollarama), Thumb Tack, Sandpaper (100C Medium Grit).
Ink: Delta Rubber Stampede - Coffee Bean

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It could be an awesome way to give a gift to a child. The tiny drawers could hold tiny treasures like sharks teeth or silver rings.

Dawn Easton said...

Oh my goodness! This is gorgeous! What a FANTASTIC idea!!! Thanks for sharing it today!

Tracy.H said...

OMG, Julie!! This is amazing!! I am gonna have to look for some of these matchboxes now!! I would use them for brads, eyelets and bling! Or you could use them for rings. And I am sure the kids would find all kind of uses for them. The men could use them for change maybe?

You are the altering Queen!! :0)

Passionforstamping said...

This is absolutely fabulous! I've got everything I need except the matchboxes. Hopefully, I'll find them!

Thanks so much for the tutorial. I can't wait to get started.

Valerie H. Marshall said...

Now how kewl is that!!! Great tutorial too!!!