Thursday, September 4, 2008

Happy Birthday, Dad!

Tuesday is my Dad's birthday and this is the card that I made up for him. He's very into nature, so I thought I'd go with this bird and leaf theme. I really struggle with masculine themed cards like many others, so I pondered for a while and I came up with this layout and I'm quite happy with how it turned out. I sponged the outside of the main stamped image and for the blue and celery squares in the background, I used crumpled up Saran Wrap to distress them to kinda give them a masculine look. Hee! Hee! I just had a thought, I could tell him that they reminded me of when I was a little girl and I was playing with PlayDoh. If he hadn't shaved for a day or so, I would always ask him to make beard prints in the PlayDoh! Oh, the funny things ya remember, eh? So, he'll get a kick out of his 'beard prints' card! lol :)

For the antique brass iron-on studs, instead of ironing them on I used a little square of terrifically tacky tape to hold them in place and it works like a charm. I think they fancy up the card without making it look girlie. You wanna add a little embellishment and these seem to do the job. I found these in the clearance section at Michaels a while ago and I got two packages of 30 pieces each for $2 each. A screamin' deal! I think they're normally 3 times that price. Ya gotta love a great deal! :)

Well, I have company coming so I need to tidy up the house a bit, so I should get going for now. I have to work tonight so I won't get in any more crafty time again until tomorrow...unless I work like crazy and get my housework done before I have to go to work, that is! So, off I go like lightening! lol :)

Thanks for stoppin' by! :)



Supplies:
Stamps: Natural Beauty (SU)
Cardstock: Slate Blue, Navy Blue Linen, Celery (Bazzill), Cream (Staples)
Ink: Walnut Stain Distress Ink (Tim Holtz - Ranger), Jet Black (StazOn)
Watercolour Wonder Crayons: Mellow Moss, Always Artichoke, Apricot Appeal, Bashful Blue, Night of Navy (SU)
Tools: Terifically Tacky Tape (ProvoCraft), Aqua Painter, Sponge (SU), Saran Wrap
Embellishments: Antique Brass Iron-On Studs (Stuff by Hillary Duff - Michaels)

2 comments:

Tracy.H said...

Very nice, Julie. I have never seen those iron on studs before...awesome for the masculine cards! I am sure Dad will love it! :0)

maiahs_momma said...

Love this card, very masculine...but at the same time I have to say it looks kind of elegant too :)!

Hugs,
catherine