Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Dryer Sheet Glitter Card Tutorial

I've been attacked by glitter! It's all coming back now...there was a reason that I don't play with spray adhesive and glitter anymore...especially when it involves those two things together! I now have glitter glued all over my hands and I can't get it off! ARG! I've tried all sorts of cleaners, but no such luck ridding myself of the pesky 'glitter-hand.' Oh well, it will be a source of entertainment for my girls in the morning. I can hear it now, "Oh Mama, you look so pretty! Can we glitter our hands, too?" "Nope" will be my quick response to that! lol :) So, if any of you out there have an idea of how to get this glitter off, please share with me, pretty please!!

Now, for my card that I was attempting. I think the worse part is that I screwed up the whole card and basically ruined it! Yeah, that makes me feel a whole lot better about the whole glittered hand issue! The idea is to have a floral, glittered background show through the dryer sheet and it would be gorgeous. At least the demo card that my Stampin' Up! Demo made a few months ago was! Unfortunately, I messed up on the order of my glittering and instead of applying it to the inside of the dryer sheet layer, I applied it to the outside of the dryer sheet layer. Oops. Now you can hardly see the floral background that I stamped. You can see it in person, but the camera isn't picking up the background image. :(

Here's the process for this card technique.

First, gather your supplies together as shown here.


  • You'll need a piece of cardstock for the main card. The card front will be the standard size of 4 1/4 x 5 1/2". I used blue in this case.
  • Then, cut a piece of white cardstock to be 3 1/4" x 5 1/4".
  • SU 'Floral' background stamp
  • Blue craft ink (I used Color Box 'Ice Blue' fluid chalk ink. It looks like pigment ink but dries nearly as fast as dye ink.)
  • Spray adhesive
  • Used dryer sheet
  • Double-sided tape
  • Text stamp (I used 'love' from the SU set 'Wonderful Words.'
  • Silver Embossing powder
  • VersaMark
  • Bone folder or brayer

Stamp your floral background onto your piece of white cardstock. Heat set this using your heat tool to be sure it's dry.
Trim your dryer sheet to be approximately 5' x 6 1/2".

Spray the front stamped side of your cardstock with spray adhesive. (Do this outside, it's a bit fumey.) Now, bring your image inside and apply glitter to it.

Lay the dryer sheet down on the table and place your white cardstock, image side down, centered onto the dryer sheet. Apply double-sided tape to the edges of the cardstock and then fold the edges of the dryer sheet over and adhere to the cardstock. When you flip it over, so the image is facing up, you can use a bone folder or a brayer to smooth out the dryer sheet onto the cardstock. This will make the image show through better.
Stamp your text on the bottom of the card. I chose to use the word, 'love' so this could be used as a wedding card or an anniversary card. I stamped onto the very bottom of the blue cardstock with VersaMark, then applied silver embossing powder and heat embossed it.

You may now adhere your dryer sheet wrapped image onto the blue card. Ta-da you should be done. Have fun with this, but try not to glitterfy yourself, too! lol :)

I'll have to try this card again sometime to get the glitter added in the right spot. It just won't be tonight! Just when I think I'm getting ahead, I have something else to add back onto the 'to do' list... lol :)

Thanks for stopping by! :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Boy what a cool idea I am certainly going to try this. Thanks for sharing the idea. Have a fantastic weekend.

Ila said...

Great tutorial Julie! I'm going to put this on my list of techniques to try. Hope your having a Super Holiday!!

Alhambra Club said...

Wow, this card is fantastic, thanks for the tutorial