Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Altered Clock for my Dad


I've spent the last couple of nights working on this...had to scrap a few pieces of patterned paper in the process... oh the horror! Just kidding, Dad's worth it! lol :) I've altered this clock as a gift for my Dad for his 70th birthday celebration this weekend. I think he's gonna like it. It reminds me of his style, he likes old distressed things and I think it will look great in his den.

I bought the clock at Wal-Mart, removed the clock hands, turned the clock upside down and traced around the diameter of the clock to get the template for the patterned paper. I used a piece of double sided paper by My Minds Eye - Signature Suite - 'Family Roots" Defining a Family/Taupe. This was the Taupe side of the paper. I absolutely love their papers...oh to win the lottery, I'd have every piece imaginable! lol :)

I used my Silent Setter (eyelet setter) to make a whole in the very center of the paper for the clock works to come up through. Stamped my design using the Artifacts set from SU. I used Coffee Bean pigment ink by Delta - Rubber Stampede. The distressed numbers I borrowed from Kim, thanks again, Kim! I forgot to ask her who makes this unmounted rubber stamps. I really like them! They give a nice old look to it. We met up today in our local Stamp Store...I was so well behaved. Can you believe all I bought was a few sheets of beautiful teal coloured cardstock! I deserve a medal for my discipline! lol :)

I adhered the paper to the clock using tonnes of Terrifically Tacky Tape and edged the sides with some more Coffee Bean ink. I popped the clock hands back on, and Ta-Da, the clock is done for Sunday. Now, I have to go finish making a wedding gift for this Saturday...this is a busy weekend coming! But, it's a 'dress' event and adult gatherings...I can't wait!!! Can you tell I need a night out...sans kids? lol :)

Thanks for stoppin' by!

4 comments:

Shannon Tompkins said...

Your clock looks great. I'd like it in my home!

Anonymous said...

What a great idea! You did a FABULOUS job, Julie! Your dad will LOVE it!

Ila said...

Wow! This clock turned out Wonderful!..what a great gift!!

Tracy.H said...

You did a great job on the clock! I am sure Dad will love it! :0)