Thursday, August 30, 2007

Tumbled Tile Coaster Tutorial

I finished the tumbled tile coasters tonight for the wedding I'm going to this weekend, and thought I would put together a little tutorial on them to inspire others to try them. They're a lot of fun to make and a nice gift to go along with a cash gift like I'm doing. I just like to give something so that they have a little memento a few years down the road that they can look back at and say, Oh yeah, so and so gave me that.

First start off with a set of 4 tumbled tiles. I buy mine at Kent's, but you can go to Home Depot or your local hardware store. They're usually about a $1 a tile, cheaper if you buy them by the case.

For this coaster, I decided to go with a wine bottle and glass image and a script background, so first I needed to make a mask of my wine bottle and glass image. So, first stamp your image onto a sticky note to make a mask.

Then, cut out your sticky note mask as close to the image as you can.

Stamp your image onto the tiles. I used VersaFine Archival Instant Dry Pigment Ink - Vintage Sepia colour. Although this is called 'instant dry,' it doesn't actually dry instantly on the tiles, so use your heat embossing tool to completely dry the ink. The stamp I used for this step is by Stamps Happen Inc. and it's called 'Wine Bottle and Glass.'

Once your image is dry, place the cut out sticky note mask over the stamped image on the tile. Then, you can stamp the background script over top of it.

After you stamp your background script onto the tile, remove it carefully as to not smudge it. For the script, I used is 'En Francais' by SU.

This is what this step looks like after the mask is removed and a pic of the stamp that I used.

Use your heat tool again to dry the script background, then you can colour in your images. I used two colours, the Merlot colour is by Tombo. The Cork colour is by Sugarloaf Products, Inc. - Whispers Strokes. These are permanent markers, you 'must' use permanent markers so that they don't run when you apply the sealer finish when complete.
To finish off your tile, use a spray matte sealer from Americana or whichever you like to use and this will protect your tile from moisture so your ink won't run. I also add little cork feet to the bottom four corners to protect their table surface. I buy these at the local dollar store. The come in a pack of 20 cork dots about 1/2" in diameter and are 1/8" thick and self adhesive so they're quick to apply.

I hope you decide to try some of these tumbled tile coasters on your own, if you do, send me a pic, I'd love to see what you came up with! :)

Thanks for stoppin' by! :)

6 comments:

Tracy.H said...

Well done, Julie! I am sure they will love them. :0)

Pegg S said...

Thanks so much for putting this together -- I've always wanted to try these, but these photos really help!!! You made some really pretty ones :)

Shannon Tompkins said...

You really have been busying with all your altered art. I have a pile of pictures to take of projects once I get my camera back from SK.

Rebecca said...

I've seen tutorials on this before, but you've inspired me to give it a try. Thanks for the wonderful step-by-step. We beginners appreciate it!!

Corie said...

These are the perfect wedding gift. Thanks for the tutorial.

Glass Coasters said...

Thank you so much for your effort! I always want to try doing this and after seeing this, I'm more inspired to do this.